PRIFYSGOL ABERYSTWYTH UNIVERSITY
DEGREE EXAMINATIONS 2010
DEPARTMENT OF LAW AND CRIMINOLOGY
CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND THE PENAL SYSTEM (LA36320)
Time allowed TWO hours
Answer TWO questions.
Candidates are not permitted to bring any books, notes or any other materials
into the examination.
1. Garland suggests that welfare solutions to crime are largely obsolete and that
rather than delivering criminal justice and crime control the state works
through third parties to tackle the crime problem and the security issues to
which it gives rise. Critically consider how effectively Garland‟s
interpretation is a true picture of criminal justice in England and Wales today
and discuss whether it raises any concerns.
2. Critically consider whether discretion can undermine what might otherwise be
a form of policing which empowers the community and briefly discuss how
one might best prevent the improper use of discretionary powers.
3. Critically analyze and examine the role of ONE of the two criminal justice
institutions mentioned below:
(a) The National Offender Management Service
(b) The Sentencing Guidelines Council
4. Critically demonstrate how ONE of the general sentencing principles
mentioned below applies to the imposition of criminal fines:
5. Austin and Coventry (2001) defined privatization as a “[c]onceptual process
that „shifts public functions, responsibilities and capital assets, in whole or in
part, from the public to the private sector.” Critically discuss this statement in
relation to the privatization of prisons.