1. 5 pts. Place the following types of electromagnetic radiation in order of decreasing frequency:
violet light (violet), microwaves, radio waves, uv light (uv), green light (green)
> > > >
2. 5 pts. What is the wavelength of light that has frequency equal to 2.38 x 1016 Hz?
3. 5 pts. What is the deBroglie wavelength of an electron (mass 9.11 x 10-31 kg) travelling 972 km/s?
4. 5 pts. What is the wavelength of light that emerges when a certain atom loses 9.83 x 10-20 J of energy when
relaxing from an excited state to a lower state?
5. 5 pts. How many photons are contained in a burst of light at 689 nm from a lamp that contains 609 kJ of
6. 5 pts. The energy of hydrogen atom in atomic units is given as
, where n is a non-zero positive
integer. What is the wavelength of light given off when hydrogen drops from the n=3 to n=1 level? One
atomic unit of energy is equal to 4.359 x 10-18 J.
7. 5 pts. How many different orbitals in a given atom can have an n=4 quantum number? ________
8. 5 pts. How many orbitals can have each of the sets of quantum numbers given below?
________ n = 2, l = 1
________ n = 4, l = 0
________ n = 3, l = 3
________ n = 5, l = 2
________ n = 3, ml = +1
9. 5 pts. Circle any of the potential orbitals of the hydrogen atom that are listed below that are NOT allowed.
2s 4f 1p 9s 2d
10. 5 pts. Write complete electron configurations for each of the following species:
11. 5 pts. Write abbreviated electron configurations for each of the following species:
12. 6 pts. Write electron box diagrams for the valence electrons of each of these elements:
13. 4 pts. Make a sketch of the periodic table and indicate with arrows the general trend for each of these
first ionization energy
electron affinity (least negative to most
For each of the following questions, circle the correct choice and then provide a brief explanation of
your choice underneath the question. Don’t just say that it follows the trend, justify your choice on the
basis of atomic shell structure.
14. 5 pts. Which of these two has the greatest first ionization energy? Ca Ba
15. 5 pts. Which of these two has the largest atomic size? Al Cl