EC225 Economics of the Welfare State
Section A (100 Marks)
Answer TWO questions (each question carries 50 marks)
1. Compare and contrast Utilitarian and Rawlsian philosphies.
2. Discuss Esping-Andersen’s three typologies of welfare regimes. How would
you classify the Irish welfare state using his typologies?
3. What are the main policy issues with respect to ageing in Ireland? What
should be the key elements of any new government strategy for older people
4. What do current poverty measures tell us about the extent and distribution of
poverty in Ireland?
5. Discuss, using appropriate diagrams, what is meant by efficiency with respect
to resource allocation. List the “standard assumptions” that must hold if an
efficient market equilibrium is to be achieved.