Basic Floral Design From Concept to Beauty
Care and Handling – Step 1 What will we do to preserve our flowers?
• Provide clean water • Provide a bactericide • Provide a sugar source • Alternative Preservatives • Lemon-Lime Soft Drinks • Certain Mouthwashes
Care and Handling – Step 2 What is needed for the initial preparation?
• Cut the flowers with a sharp knife • Never use scissors or pruning shears • Never pound break stems • Cuts stems at an angle
Care and Handling – Step 3 What design materials will I need?
• Floral Foam • Water tight container • Anchor tape • Floral wire
Care and Handling – Step 4 What floral design tools will I need?
• Sharp Knife • Wire cutters • Scissors • Poultry shears
Types of Designs What are the design types I have available to me?
• Triangular • Round • Exotic
Round Designs Step 1: Begin by setting the lines
• Height first: Rule-of-Thumb – One to one and half times the height of the container. • Width – One half to one third length of the
first flowers. • Front – Sets the forward dimension of the
arrangement. • What you do to one side you must do the other side!
Round Designs Step 2: Fill in areas with foliage...
• Place foliage at corners • Keep design elements inside the line • Develop an imaginary point and point all
foliage and flowers to that point • Hide the floral foam • Keep the design three dimensional
Round Designs Types of Flowers
• Line flowers – carnations • Mass flowers – mums or daisies • Filler flowers – statice and baby’s breath • Form flowers – exotic flowers or roses