Characteristics of Life, Bacteria, Virus, Protists, Fungi and Microscope Review Sheet
1. Discuss why a flame isn’t considered a living organism. You must reference 4 of the characteristics of life in your answer.
2. List common characteristics of bacteria (i.e. cell type, cellular organization, modes of nutrition…).
3. What is the major difference(s) between Archaebacteria and Eubacteria?
4. Explain how the cell type in prokaryotes differs from that in eukaryotes.
5. Name and draw the three bacterial shapes.
6. Describe the possible arrangements of bacterial cells and include the prefixes that describe these arrangements. Draw an example of each.
7. Make a chart listing the positive and negative contributions of bacteria to ecosystems.
8. Why are viruses considered nonliving?
9. What are the two major components of a viral particle?
10. Explain why certain viruses can only infect certain, specific types of host cells.
11. Explain the two types of viral infections (lytic and lysogenic). Give an example of each.
12. The eyepiece magnifies an object 10x. The objective lens magnifies an object 4x. What is the total magnification?
13. If the objective above is swapped for a 10x objective, what is the new magnification? Using the letter T, illustrate how the object will look differently under the microscope using the 4x objective lens and the 10x objective lens.
14. Describe the appropriate technique for finding a specimen under the highest power objective lens. Be complete in your answer.
15. What are the differences between a dissecting microscope and a compound microscope?
16. What is a protist?
17. List common characteristics of Kingdom Protista.
18. What are the three types of protists? How are they grouped into these categories?
19. Draw and list an example of a protist with cilia, flagella, and a pseudopod.
20. Make a chart listing the positive and negative contributions of protists to ecosystems.
21. What are the characteristics of fungi (use your kingdom chart)?
22. Name the fungus that’s unicellular.
23. What is a decomposer?
24. What are hyphae? Mycelium?
25. Which part of the fungus is used for feeding? Reproduction?
26. List 3 products made from fungi.
27. List 3 fungal diseases.