SEMESTER SPRING 2012 Crisis Management (MGMT629)
Assignment No.2 Due Date: June13,2012 Marks: 25 Assignment: In every organization a time comes when it faces one or the other
forms of crisis. The crisis could be of different types ranging from natural calamity, an
industrial crisis or a financial crisis that many of the organizations are facing at current.
Some of the organizations emerge out of the crisis within a short period of time and it is
due the strong research culture within the organization to deal with the emerging crisis
or situation after crisis.
Pakistan Railways is one such public enterprise which is in severe financial crisis.
Despite of large number of customers/passengers it is unable to meet its daily operating
cost and pay salaries to its employees in time. The company also holds huge assets and
a large infrastructure; which if utilized properly can convert the losses into huge profits.
Due to the mismanagement and delayed timings the passengers trust is also lacking on
Being a crisis manager in Pakistan Railways;
1. What type of research you will conduct to highlight the problems and figure out the
solutions among these three types of researches: (2 Marks)
a. Basic research
b. Evaluation research or
c. Action research
2. Also point out at least six ways (three short terms and three long terms) through
which the company can be brought out of financial crisis. (6*3 Marks)
3. How corruption and mismanagement can be eliminated from Pakistan Railways to bring it out of crisis? (2*2.5 Marks)
Instructions: Please read the following instructions carefully before preparing the assignment solution: • The solution should be precise and to the point. • The type of research should be clearly mentioned in question no 1. • Only six relevant points to be discussed in second question to come out of financial
crisis. • Question no 3 should contain only two strong measures.
Note: Only in the case of Assignment, 24 hours extra / grace period after the due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties which may be faced by the students on last date. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience. Important Instructions: Please read the following instructions carefully before attempting the assignment solution.
• Make sure that you upload the solution file before the due date. No assignment will be accepted through e-mail once the solution has been uploaded by the instructor.
• Use the font style “Times New Roman”/ “Arial” and font size “12”. • It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word 2003.
• Use black and blue font colors only.
• Every student will work individually and has to write in the form of an analytical assignment.
• Give the answer according to question. • For acquiring the relevant knowledge don’t rely only on handouts but watch the
video lectures and use other reference books also.
Rules for Marking
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0) if:
• It has been submitted after due date • The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt • It is in any format other than .doc (MS. Word)
It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc…
Important Note for those courses where calculations and graphs are required.
• Calculate to the point where calculation is being required. NO need to write irrelevant
material or extra interpretation. • Draw diagrams by yourself. Do NOT copy from any source. NO need to write