The purpose of an enquiry is to ask for information about a product or a service.
a) Introductory part: inform your addressee where or how you got his address, who you are
and why you are interested in his product.
b) Central part: state exactly the sort of information you wish to receive and ask for a
catalogue, sample, price list or whatever you need to examine.
c) Closing sentence: promise to place an order if you are satisfied with the information
Mention the source of the address:
- We have read your advertisement in this month’s/today’s/the current issue of (name of
magazine or newspaper) about your (name of product).
- We are interested in your… (product)
• which you have recently advertised in the Herald Tribune
• as advertised in the current issue of Newsweek
•which we have seen advertised in this month’s Fortune magazine.
- We noticed your advertisement in our trade magazine and are in terested in the new model
- We are writing with reference to your advertisement in this month’s Popular Mechanics.
- We saw/ took your catalogue at the Trade Fair held in (name of town) last October.
- We visited your stand at the London Fashion Exhibition and we think that your products/
models might suit our requirements.
- While visiting the Birmingham Electrex in January we noticed the production of your firm
and we would like to learn more about it.
- We got/obtained your address from our local Chamber of Commerce.
- We understand from ... (person or firm) that you are manufacturers/exporters/producers/
supp1ies of ... (product).
- Your name was given to us by a mutual friend/acquaintance, Mr...
- Your firm has been recommended/mentioned to us by Mr/Messrs…
- We have been engaged in importing ... (product) for 10 years.
- We are importers/wholesalers/distributors of ... (product).
- We are building contractors/a chain of supermarkets/a depart ment store a firm
- We are in the market for building materials/women’s shoes /office furniture...
SAY WHY YOU NEED INFORMATION:
- We have recently received a number of requests for your line, which we have not dealt in so
- There is a steady demand here for your products and we wish to expand our range of
models/enlarge our stocks.
- We have an urgent request for ... (product).
B) CENTRAL PART: THE ACTUAL REQUEST
- We would be pleased/glad to receive
- We would be grateful if you could send us
- We would appreciate having
- We are interested in examining
some illustrated material
your literature / catalogue / brochure / leaflet
your latest price-list
your best offer for a supply of (product)
a quotation for your...
some samples of your...
a pattern-book / some sample cuttings of...
- Would you please quote your best prices and let us have your terms for a supply of 1,000
- We would like to have your 1owest quotation ex works for your... (product) and the terms
and conditions on which you would be pre pared to furnish us.
C) CLOSING SENTENCE: REFER TO FUTURE BUSINESS
- If your prices compare favourably with others,
- If your samples meet our requirements,
- If the quality of your product is up to our expectations,
- If you are in a position to guarantee prompt delivery,
- If your terms are satisfactory,
• we shall send you our order immediately
• we are prepared to pass you a trial order
• we shall place our order without delay
• we shall start a mutually profitable business relationship
•we shall probably let you have regular orders.
AND CLOSE THE LETTER:
- We look forward to hearing from you soon.
- A prompt reply would be appreciated.
- We would appreciate an early answer.
- We await a reply at your earliest convenience.