Search in the document preview
3-5 Barriers to Women’s participation in
Science & Engineering
Barriers to Women’s participation in Science & Engineering
• Until late 1800s, few women had access to post-secondary education
• subordinate legal status • belief that men superior • belief that women too fragile en too
Obstacles for academic women scientists?
• Difficulties in combining career with childbearing and family life.
• Lake of compelling role models. • Women receive little encouragement. • Perception by women that they will have to be
better than their male counterparts to be considered equal.
What are the obstacles for academic women scientists?
• While women in science and engineering confront many problems, most of these result from single conflict: In fact our culture's attitudes toward science and engineering and toward women have traditionally been incompatible.
• Women face many problem in trying to conduct collegial relationship with men who may view them as potential romantic partners or even as simple sex object
• No we don’t take girls here. • We do not want females. • Oh well, you can’t do that. • Why waste time with engineering. • In those days, a girl couldn't get a job. • You are good enough looking… • You’re just looking for a husband.
• They cry when criticized. • They get married. • They can’t take a joke. • They aren’t interested in engineering. • They make me feel uncomfortable. • We had one once and it didn't work out.