Search in the document preview
1. 5 pts. Place the following types of electromagnetic radiation in order of decreasing frequency:
violet light (violet), microwaves, radio waves, uv light (uv), green light (green)
> > > >
2. 5 pts. What is the wavelength of light that has frequency equal to 2.38 x 1016 Hz? 3. 5 pts. What is the deBroglie wavelength of an electron (mass 9.11 x 10-31 kg) travelling 972 km/s? 4. 5 pts. What is the wavelength of light that emerges when a certain atom loses 9.83 x 10-20 J of energy when relaxing from an excited state to a lower state? 5. 5 pts. How many photons are contained in a burst of light at 689 nm from a lamp that contains 609 kJ of energy?
6. 5 pts. The energy of hydrogen atom in atomic units is given as 22 1
− = , where n is a non-zero positive
integer. What is the wavelength of light given off when hydrogen drops from the n=3 to n=1 level? One atomic unit of energy is equal to 4.359 x 10-18 J. 7. 5 pts. How many different orbitals in a given atom can have an n=4 quantum number? ________ 8. 5 pts. How many orbitals can have each of the sets of quantum numbers given below?
________ n = 2, l = 1 ________ n = 4, l = 0 ________ n = 3, l = 3 ________ n = 5, l = 2 ________ n = 3, ml = +1
9. 5 pts. Circle any of the potential orbitals of the hydrogen atom that are listed below that are NOT allowed.
2s 4f 1p 9s 2d
10. 5 pts. Write complete electron configurations for each of the following species:
Zn 11. 5 pts. Write abbreviated electron configurations for each of the following species:
Am 12. 6 pts. Write electron box diagrams for the valence electrons of each of these elements: O P Cr
13. 4 pts. Make a sketch of the periodic table and indicate with arrows the general trend for each of these properties:
first ionization energy
electron affinity (least negative to most negative)
metallic character For each of the following questions, circle the correct choice and then provide a brief explanation of your choice underneath the question. Don’t just say that it follows the trend, justify your choice on the basis of atomic shell structure. 14. 5 pts. Which of these two has the greatest first ionization energy? Ca Ba Why? 15. 5 pts. Which of these two has the largest atomic size? Al Cl Why?
16. 5 pts. Which of these two has the largest atomic size? Se2- Sr2+ Why? 17. 5 pts. Which of these two has the greatest second ionization energy? Li Be Why? 18. 5 pts. Which of these two has the most negative electron affinity? Na Cl Why? 19. 5 pts. Which of these two has the most negative electron affinity? Si P Why? 20. 5 pts. Which of these two atoms would have the greater first ionization energy? Be B Why?