Search in the document preview
Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh GX_____ National University of Ireland, Galway Repeat Examination 2010/2011
Exam Code(s) 2BA1, 2BA5, 2BA6, 2BA4, 2BA8, 2BC1, 3BC2, 3BC3,
3BC4,3BC5, Exam(s) B.A., B.A. (ESS), B.A. (PSP), B.A. (Int’l), B.Comm.,
B.Comm. (Language), Module Code(s) EC225 Module(s) Economics of the Welfare State Paper No. Repeat Paper 1 External Examiner(s) Professor Cillian Ryan
Dr Pat McGregor Internal Examiner(s) Professor John McHale
Professor Eamon O’Shea
Total: 100 Marks Section A: 100 Marks Answer TWO questions in Section A
Duration 1 hour No. of Pages Discipline Economics Course Co‐ ordinator(s)
Requirements: MCQ Handout Statistical Tables Graph Paper Log Graph Paper Other Material
EC225 Economics of the Welfare State
Section A (100 Marks)
Answer TWO questions (each question carries 50 marks)
1. Compare and contrast Utilitarian and Rawlsian philosphies.
2. Discuss Esping-Andersen’s three typologies of welfare regimes. How would you classify the Irish welfare state using his typologies?
3. What are the main policy issues with respect to ageing in Ireland? What should be the key elements of any new government strategy for older people in Ireland?
4. What do current poverty measures tell us about the extent and distribution of poverty in Ireland?
5. Discuss, using appropriate diagrams, what is meant by efficiency with respect to resource allocation. List the “standard assumptions” that must hold if an efficient market equilibrium is to be achieved.