Search in the document preview
Regents Physics Name __________________________________
Waves & Electromagnetic Spectrum Worksheet
Directions: Use the word bank to answer the following questions. Each word will be used only once.
Crest Frequency Mechanical Infrared Trough Transverse Radio Gamma Wavelength Longitudinal Ultraviolet X-Rays Visible Light Amplitude Electromagnetic
1. ____________________ waves are used to penetrate solids and are used in doctor’s offices and as airports. 2. ____________________ is the distance between one point of a wave to the same point in the next wave. 3. ____________________ is the number of waves per unit of time. 4. ____________________ waves occur when the motion of the medium is parallel to the direction of the wave. 5. ____________________ waves have a color spectrum known as ROYGBIV. 6. ____________________ waves disturb matter. 7. The ________________ is the top of a wave. 8. The ________________ is the bottom of a wave. 9. ____________________ is the maximum distance that matter is displaced from the resting position. 10. ___________________ waves are produced by stars and galaxies. 11. ___________________ waves occur when the motion of the medium is at right angles (perpendicular) to the direction of the wave. 12. ___________________ waves are often used in heat lamps. 13. ___________________ waves are utilized by insects to locate nectar. 14. ___________________ waves are transverse waves that disturb electromagnetic fields. 15. ___________________ waves have the shortest wavelength and the highest frequency.
Name ______________________________ Period _________
Electromagnetic Spectrum Worksheet #1
1. In each of the following pairs, circle the form of radiation with the LONGER WAVELENGTH:
a. red light or blue light b. microwaves or radiowaves c. infrared radiation or red light d. gamma rays or UV radiation
2. In each of the following pairs, circle the form of radiation with the GREATER FREQUENCY:
a. yellow light or green light b. x-rays or gamma rays c. UV radiation or violet light d. AM radio waves or FM radio waves
3. In each of the following pairs, circle the form of radiation with the LOWER ENERGY:
a. red light or blue light b. microwaves or radiowaves c. infrared radiation or red light d. gamma rays or UV radiation e. yellow light or green light f. x-rays or gamma rays g. UV radiation or violet light h. AM radio waves or FM radio waves
4. Springfield’s “Classic Rock” radio station broadcasts at a frequency of 102.1 MHz. What is the length of the radio wave in meters?
5. A beam of light has a wavelength of 506 nanometers. What is the frequency of the light? What color is the light?
6. Blue light has a frequency of 6.98 x 1014 Hertz. Calculate the wavelength of blue light in nanometers.